Workers’ Compensation Act
Governmental And Municipal Law
Since the earliest days of the firm, Mills Shirley has represented state, county and local governments. As the state has grown, so has our governmental and municipal practice, expanding to our representation of school districts, water and drainage districts, governmental self-insurance pools and municipal boards.
Some of our attorneys have served on governmental boards, appraisal districts and school boards. In addition, our appellate lawyers have assisted governmental entities by preparing amicus curiae filings to ensure that our clients are heard on governmental-related issues.
Our attorneys practicing governmental and municipal law:
- Act as city attorney, general counsel and outside defense counsel
- Provide representation and advice in employment, civil service and labor matters
- Advise on government contracts, bidding laws, open meetings, open records and elections law
- Give representation and advice in land regulation, public nuisance, inverse condemnation and takings law
- Defend governmental and municipal entities, and their public officials, in state and federal tort and constitutional litigation
- Defend government-employed physicians against state and federal claims
We assist governmental clients in all phases of representation including conduct of public meetings, acquisition of property, prosecution of local government law and defense of suits based on governmental immunity and the Texas Tort Claims Act. Our attorneys work with many state and federal governmental agencies to advance the public mission of our governmental clients, and the mutual concerns of other entities. Our representation is cost-efficient, keeping in mind the public interest.
Talk To Us About Your Needs
From our offices in Galveston and Houston, we provide municipal and governmental clients with the pioneering service and successful reputation we have earned over the past 170 years. Contact us to speak with an attorney about your governmental legal needs.
- Robert Booth
- Jack C. Brock
- Kevin Corcoran
- Carla Cotropia
- Charles P. Dunkel Jr.
- John Eckel
- Grant G. Gealy
- Megan Scott Jones
- L. Jeth Jones II
- Ashley Joyner
- Joshua A. Kelly
- Matthew “Gus” Knebel
- Sarah K. Luther
- Scott Lyford
- Maureen Kuzik McCutchen
- Elizabeth “Libby” McDonnell
- Fred D. Raschke
- Andres O. Soto
- Conner N. Turner