- Managing Partner
- Managing Partner
Robert is the Managing Partner at Mills Shirley LLP providing legal services to individuals, companies and local governments regarding compliance or disputes involving breach of contract, commercial and residential construction, premises liability, professional negligence, employment, real-property, property tax, maritime, residential tenancy, and personal injury. Although Robert represents clients across the state, he primarily practices in Houston, Galveston and the surrounding counties.
Texas Super Lawyers recognized Robert seven times, 2010 through 2016, as a Rising Star. He was voted the Outstanding Young Lawyer of Galveston County for 2009-2010.
Robert currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors for Texas Association of Defense Counsel, a statewide organization of civil defense trial lawyers. He served two terms as the elected representative for Galveston, Brazoria and Fort Bend county lawyers to the board of the Texas Young Lawyers Association, a division of the State Bar of Texas.
Robert is active in local organizations and legal communities, having served as President of the Galveston County Bar Association and the Galveston County Young Lawyers Association. He is a member of the Galveston County Mediation Board, overseeing distribution of public funds to support free and low cost mediations to persons with need. He is currently the Vice President of the Galveston Bar Foundation, a 501(c) (3) non-profit promoting education and appreciation of the legal profession.
Robert, his wife Amber, and their two children live on Galveston Island. He is an avid runner having competed in the Chicago and Houston Marathons.
Recent Trials and Appeals:
14CV0528; Triad Construction v. Gulf Shores Electric; In the 405th District Court of Galveston County, Texas
Robert took over representation of defendant one-week before trial in a suit alleging more than $200,000 in damages arising from construction of a condominium on Galveston Island. At trial in August 2016, the Judge granted directed verdict against the major claims and some post-trial briefing, our objections and entered a take-nothing judgment favoring our client.
14CV0481; Berry, et al. v. RPoint5 Ventures, LLC, et al.; In the 405th Judicial District Court of Galveston County, Texas
Robert represented two defendants against premises-liability and negligence claims. Before trial, the Judge granted summary judgment in favor of one his clients. At trial in May 2016, the jury found no liability regarding Robert's other client. The final judgment resulted in plaintiffs taking nothing from Robert's clients.
PR-0075279-B; Preferred Collision Center, LLC v. Robert Greig as Independent Administrator of the Estate of Robert Greig, Deceased; In the Probate Court of Galveston County, Texas
Robert appeared on behalf of plaintiff less than a month before trial of a dispute involving breach of contract and specific performance. After trial in May 2016, the Judge entered a judgment favoring Robert's client by ordering specific performance of sale of a commercial property, and awarding actual damages of $425,000.00 and recovery of Robert's attorney's fees.
12CV0428; Bacon-Tomsons, et al. v. Chrisjo Energy, Inc.; In the 122nd Judicial District Court of Galveston County, Texas
Robert took over as lead attorney representing defendants against claims for breach of contract, fraud, violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act securities violations, violations of the Texas Securities Act and statutory stock fraud, negligent and fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, fraudulent concealment and civil theft. After trial in January 2015, the Judge entered a favoring Robert's clients by ordering that plaintiffs take nothing from their claims and ordering the opposing party to pay for Robert's attorney's fees.
As lead attorney on appeal, Robert obtained an opinion and order from the Houston Court of Appeals affirming the trial court's judgment in favor of Robert's client. 01-15-00305-CV; Bacon Tomson, Ltd., et al. v. Chrisjo Energy, Inc. et al.; in the Court of Appeals for the First District of Texas.
Malin Int'l Ship & Repair & Drydock, Inc. v. Oceanografia, S.A. de C.V., No. 3:12-CV-304, 2013 WL 4505987 (S.D. Tex. Aug. 22, 2013), aff'd 817 F.3d 241 (5th Cir. 2016)
Robert, as lead attorney, arrested a bare boat charter vessel on a novel theory involving ownership of the bunker fuel. The arrest and subsequent trial court judgment was upheld by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
12CV0343; Kings High Ranch, LLC, et al. v. Ultimate Kobe Beef, LLC, et al.; In the 405th Judicial District Court of Galveston County, Texas
Robert, as lead attorney, represented defendants from claims for conversion, trespass to chattels, breach of contract, alter ego, fraud, theft liability act, and breach of fiduciary duty. Robert's clients were ranchers that filed counter claims obtain rights to millions of dollars' worth of prized cow genetics. After trial in April 2014, the Court awarded Robert's client possession of the prized genetics and ordered the opposing party to pay Robert's attorney's fees.
11-CV-0071; Sergio Padilla vs. APS Anzualda Professional Services; In the 10th Judicial District of Galveston County, Texas
As lead attorney, Robert represented defendant from personal injury claims involving alleged exposure and burns from an industrial chemical. At the jury trial, Robert prevailed when the Judge granted a directed verdict against the opposing party claims. The case was not appealed.
Representing construction companies and design professional in multiparty disputes involving commercial and condominium construction
Advising local governments regarding the Texas Open Meetings Act and the Texas Public Information Act
Representing architects and engineers in defending claims relating to professional liability
Representing partners in partnership disputes
Defending companies from personal injury actions arising out of alleged toxic exposure
Representing owners of apartment complexes on a variety of issues including: landlord-tenant disputes, premises liability, property taxes and employment law
Representing small business owners by preparing separation agreements, covenants not to compete, and employment handbook policies, and by defending misappropriation of trade secrets and wrongful termination
Representing businesses in debt collection litigation
Defending electric providers in consumer rights actions and contract disputes
Defending insurers against claims of bad faith insurance settlement practices
Representing property owners in boundary disputes
Representing developers in public/private partnerships involving bond financing
- Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2004
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2006
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 2003
- University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- B.B.A. - 2003
- Major: Management Information Systems
- University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- B.A. - 2000
- Major: Economics
- Designation of Responsible Third Parties does not revive claims barred by the Statute of Repose, State Bar of Texas; TYLA eNEWS, February, 2010
- Tips for Young Lawyers, State Bar of Texas; TYLA eNEWS, May, 2010
- Perry Homes LLC
- Meritage Homes of Texas, LLC
- City of Galveston
- Galveston Park Board of Trustees
- Galveston Housing Authority
- Social Media for Lawyers, Galveston County Bar Association, 2011
- Wills for Heros, 2007
- People's Law School - Consumer Rights, 2004
- Trial Academy, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, 04/22/2016 to 04/23/2016
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in 2010 Rising Stars list published by Texas Super Lawyers
- Outstanding Young Lawyer of Galveston County
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Galveston County Young Lawyers Association, President, 2009 to 2010
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member of Board of Directors, District 9, 2008 to Present
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, Elected Member of Board of Directors, District 21, 2009 to 2013
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Chair, Young Lawyers Committee, 2007 to 2008
- Galveston County Bar Foundation, Vice-President, 06/2016 to Present
- Galveston County Bar Association, Director, 06/2010 to 06/2016
- Galveston County Bar Association, President, 06/2014 to 06/2015
- Galveston County Bar Association, Treasurer, 2003 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Opiela Booth PLLC, Attorney, 2007 to 2008
- Mills Shirley LLP, Associate Attorney, 2003 to 2007
- LexisNexis, Student Associate, 2001 to 2003
- University of Texas at Austin, Resident Assistant, 1998 to 2000
- State Legislative Technical Assistance
- Technology Consulting