Robert A. "Bob" Davee
Bob joined Mills Shirley in 1987 after the completion of a two year judicial clerkship with U.S. District Judge Ross N. Sterling, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division. He became a partner in the firm in 1990. He has maintained a broad litigation practice in both Federal and State Court for a variety of clients in the maritime, petrochemical and electrical utility industries. He also represents business owners and is experienced in general contract litigation and contract work for clients in the petrochemical industries.
Bob is also active in the local community. He served three, four year terms as an elected member of the Board of Trustees of the Clear Creek Independent School District. He was nominated for and has served as both Chairman and Member of the Board of Directors of The Galveston County Central Appraisal District. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Communities in Schools - Bay Area and he is an active member of the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, Education and Workforce Committee.
- Prosecution and defense of maritime claims in Federal Court, including litigation stemming from a vessel allision with a 345 Kv electrical transmission tower on the Houston Ship Channel and capsize of a sulfuric acid barge at the Port of Texas City.
- Arbitration and litigation of claims stemming from new build construction contracts for multiple towing vessels and fabrication of offshore oil field accommodations.
- Investigation and representation of a shipyard in the pre-litigation resolution of insurance claims stemming from a significant vessel loss under applicable provisions of hull & machinery coverages.
- Defense of wrongful death and serious personal injury claims in the petrochemical, marine, electrical utility and waste disposal industries.
- Litigation of significant fire and casualty losses, including claims involving hundreds of litigants and those arising from the destruction of a 10 acre public warehouse containing various chemical and plastic commodities.
- Representation of industrial clients and real estate owners in ad valorem tax disputes and assessments.
- Litigation and representation of business owners in contract and shareholder disputes.
- Review and preparation of a broad range of supply and operation agreements for chemical manufacturing clients.
- Vessel arrests and litigation of maritime lien and repair and service contracts for ship repairers, marine fabricators and vessel suppliers.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Litigation and Appeals
- Business Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Professional Malpractice
Certified Legal Specialties
- Licensed Seaman
- Texas, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1985
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- B.A. magna cum laude - 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Galveston County Bar Association, Member
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Maritime Law Association, Member
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- National Fire Protection Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Ross N. Sterling, U. S. District Court, Briefing Attorney, 1985 - 1987
- U.S. District Judge Ross N. Sterling, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, Judicial Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Elected Member of the Board of Trustees of the Clear Creek Independent School District
- Chairman and Member of the of the Board of Directors of The Galveston County Central Appraisal District
- Board of Directors of Communities in Schools - Bay Area
- Active Member of the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, Education and Workforce Committee